The 31-year-old forward spearheaded USA’s inspirational run into the Final, nodding home an extra-time (122′) equaliser against Brazil in the quarter-finals, the latest goal scored in World Cup history. The goal not only levelled the score at 2-2 to send the match into penalties, where the Americans eventually won through to the semi-finals, but proved to be the latest goal ever scored in the history of the tournament.
Wambach scored a total four goals at Germany 2011, tallying all with her head en route to claiming both the adidas Silver Ball and the adidas Bronze Boot.
- VIDEO: Abby Wambach & Winter Vinecki – 2011 Women Sports Foundation Award Winners (wsenetwork.com)
- Wambach Handily Wins Female Athlete of the Year (abcnews.go.com)
- Abby Wambach wins Associated Press 2011 Female Athlete of the Year (goal.com)
- Cup star Wambach voted female athlete of year (espn.go.com)
- Abby Wambach named AP Female Athlete of the Year (usatoday.com)